The Lonely Planet describes Auckland as “Geographically Blessed”; ringed with great beaches, flanked with wine regions and, as New Zealand’s largest city, large enough in population to have a thriving dining, drinking and live music scene.
The Auckland of the past few years has finally taken advantage of its prime position on the Waitemata Harbour, with the development of world class waterfront areas, and a more pedestrian friendly CBD to become the most vibrant city in the South Pacific. True to the objective to be “the Worlds Most Livable City” Auckland is packed with amazing restaurants, bars, cafes and parks, and world class attractions, most of which are easily accessed from the CBD hotels. The result is a city that can cater for couples and friends, families, or conferences and events with style; a city suited to the cosmopolitan types yet also the action seeking or outdoorsy, a city that has just as much to offer the visitor from other parts of NZ as the overseas tourist.
Auckland is also the gateway to the wonders of New Zealand's far north, the natural geothermal features of the Bay of Plenty, and an easy day trip to a significant part of “Middle Earth” – Hobbiton.
Experience New Zealand's rugged and beautiful landscape on the world-renowned Tongariro and Whanganui National Parks. Be guided by the best with Adrift Guided Outdoor Adventures.
What to do in Auckland:
- Shop 'til you drop in the High Street fashion district, Ponsonby Road, Newmarket or the new but historical Britomart Quarter. All a short walk or easy link bus ride away
- Take a relaxing harbour cruise to the islands in the Hauraki Gulf
- Enjoy a sightseeing bike ride around the city
- Hike to the top of Mt Eden for inspiring 360 degree views
- Try your luck at SkyCity Casino
- Sky walk, or take a leap of faith and bungy from the Skytower
- Play golf on one of many picturesque courses
- Take Auckland's Dolphin and Whale Safari
- Sail in an authentic America's Cup Yacht
- Dine al fresco and enjoy Auckland’s award winning waterfront at the Viaduct Harbour, or the Wynyard Quarter
- Climb the Auckland Harbour Bridge and experience a bungy jump
- Be wowed at Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World.