- About Heritage
Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand, has a CBD hemmed in by steep hillsides which surround a stunning harbour, the hills and valleys dotted with Victorian villas in what the Lonely Planet described as “an almost San Franciscan manner”. The city has a large number of great bars and restaurants, quite out of proportion with its population size, and takes pride in being known as the cultural and artistic capital of New Zealand. More recently Wellington has become firmly established as the film capital of NZ, earning itself both the nickname “Wellywood” and much praise from the industry big hitters and famous actors, who have been proud during filming to temporarily call Wellington home.
The CityLife Wellington, set in the CBD and only blocks from the waterfront, is ideally located to access restaurants, shops and businesses, and activities, both around the waterfront and those arranged around the surrounding hills. Staying in this Wellington CBD hotel makes getting to the Interislander or Bluebridge Ferry- the link to the wonders of the South Island –a breeze, but it’s worth adding extra nights whatever the aim of your visit is, as there is a host of rewarding Wellington activities within easy reach of the hotel.
Things to do:
- Visit New Zealand's national museum, Te Papa
- Take in the parliament buildings and famous Beehive –tours are free
- Journey on the cable car for amazing views, then enjoy the observatory, or walk back down the hill through the Wellington Botanic Gardens
- Watch world class sports at "The Cake Tin" (New Zealand’s premier multi purpose stadium)
- Sample the nightlife precinct of Courtenay Place
- Take a big ferry to the South Island; or take the small ferry to destinations around the harbour
- Try and choose from a wide range of restaurants
- At least once in your life experience a World of Wearable Arts show
- Enjoy the fabulous waterfront: stroll around Oriental Bay for a beautiful lunch or watch the dragon boaters in the lagoon
- Visit the Weta Workshop for an insight into the Oscar award winning effects that make movies so special