- About Heritage
Magnificent Queenstown is world famous, and despite welcoming visitors from all around the world, and taking the starring role in many movies, this South Island adventure resort town retains its appeal as a small alpine village, with charming and unique shops and restaurants, and friendly and welcoming people.
It is a town of contrasts: you can relax by a roaring fire and dine in an intimate setting, or hit the night clubs and casino. You can have a day of action; ski, mountain bike, bungy… or gaze serenely at the same primeval forests that made the Lord of the Rings so special.
With the options of side trips to the lakeside towns of Wanaka or Glenorchy, the historic mining village of Arrowtown, or a day trip to the majestic Milford Sound –a World Heritage Park, the possibilities are endless. At the end of the day the perfect wind down will be where you stay: the Heritage Queenstown; so make sure you either book ample time, or plan to return as soon as possible.
- Ski the best fields in the Southern Hemisphere - The Remarkables, Coronet Peak, Treble Cone & Cardrona
- View the filming sites from the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy and really visit “Middle Earth”
- Take a seat on the Shotover Jet for a hair-raising ride
- Cruise Lake Wakatipu in the 100 year old steam ship TSS Earnslaw
- Visit historic gold mining village Arrowtown
- Take a day trip to Milford Sound: Rudyard Kipling referred to it as the “eighth wonder of the world”
- Visit Wanaka and Glenorchy for fine crafts, great cafes, and stunning scenery
- Dine in the heart of town beside a roaring fire in award winning restaurants
- Take a helicopter for the scenic ride of a lifetime
- Bungy jump from the place where the craze all started
- Visit the local vineyards and produce stores along the Queenstown wine trail
- Fly fish in the rivers and lakes around the region
- Take a hike on any number of great trails
- Mountain bike on some of more than 100km of new trails encompassing stunning vistas, hidden ruins, spectacular architecture and world class food and wine
- Golf to your heart's content on great courses
- Capture all those views and learn photography with a one day or weekend course from Australia and NewZealand’s top photographers.
Nestled between mountains, nearby plains and tucked up close to the magnificent Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown’s location ensures it has four distinct seasons to enjoy. From hot dry summers, lush spring and vibrant autumn displays of colour, to fresh alpine winters; the seasons may change, but Queenstown’s natural beauty and charm doesn’t.