Greater Canterbury Region
From picnic spot and mountain biking to swimming with the dolphins and whale watching, Christchurch is the perfect base to do all these activities.
Here are some of most popular places to visit and things to do around Canterbury:
- Skiing trip to Mt Hutt
- Catch the Trans-alpine express for the train journey of a lifetime
- For wine lovers, some of the country’s finest wines and stunning garden surrounds are a mere half an hour’s drive from the CBD
- Akaroa Harbour Cruises & Swimming with Dolphins – Black Cat Cruises, Akaroa – Guided cruises packed with highlights including native dolphins, penguins and sea birds with views of the surrounding giant volcanic sea cliffs. Options to get up close and personal with Hector’s dolphins in the beautiful Akaroa Harbour.
- Take a picnic or mountain bike to Port Hills
- Soak in the popular thermal pools of Hanmer Springs, just 90 minutes outside Christchurch.